The Hally was a stretch of links to the east of the Fishmarket. It used to belong to the fishermen of Newhaven who would pull their boats onto the small sandy beach. The small beach at the Hally and the larger one at Annfield were popular play areas for the local children for many generations.
When the Fishmarket was constructed in 1896, an area to the east was reclaimed around the same time. Here a small working estate was erected, with garages, stables and kippering yards, the only ones on the east coast of Scotland between Dundee and Eyemouth at the time. This was a constant hive of industry and activity for many decades.
3_6096 Taken from a vantage point in the Klondyke, this image shows the salesmen’s offices seen on the left row of buildings. The men’s latrine was the first building in this row. Although off-(race) course gambling was strictly illegal, a bookie or his “runner” would usually be stationed outside.
3_6097 Looking west from the eastern limit of the Hally area towards the Fishmarket. The Fishmarket can be seen here on the extreme right of the picture with the top of the lighthouse just peeking above. On the far left, the old Victoria School is just visible.
3_6098 The Hally, looking north. Taken in the mid-1960s. By then, the kippering yards were gone and the buildings were used predominantly as storage units or garages.
3_6094 Tam Smith’s Yard in the Hally. Thomas Smith Jnr was a busy haulage company with its main yard in the Hally, probably at position 33 on the Map of Businesses. Photograph taken in the 50s.