— Route Stop #16
Very soon this building proved too small and in 1877 it was demolished when Victoria School was built. A third school, the Madras School was built immediately behind Newhaven Church. At one time, there were five schools in the village but gradually all were amalgamated into Victoria School.
The houses of Lamb’s Court have been developed and upgraded over the years but the use of traditional materials and style with forestairs has been maintained. The central court is wider than it once was because of the demolition of earlier buildings such as the old schoolhouse.
At the north entrance to Lamb’s Court on Pier Place a tall stone Barometer case dating from 1775 and a notice board is located. This was built into an 1868 category B listed 3-storey building, 4 Pier Place, where a Fishermen’s clock was inset into a central pediment at roof level.
The Barometer had once been located at the domed housing on the former St Andrews Square (now Fishmarket Square) but in 1900 it was re-erected here with word carvings added.
In recent times, a new door and weatherboard have been renovated by Men’s Shed of Leith. A notice with a daily tidal time chart is now displayed in the notice board for the help of users of the still busy Newhaven Harbour and maintained by Newhaven Heritage.