— #21 Newhaven Church
The church was constructed in 1835-36 and dedicated on 30 October 1836. The architect was John Henderson of Edinburgh. The building was 99 feet long by 88 feet wide with a vestibule and gallery above it at the west end.
As was tradition, the church congregation faced east (towards Jerusalem). The pulpit was in the centre of the east wall and alongside it was the precentor’s table. At the time, there was no organ or chancel. It was the precentor’s function to lead the singing for to many traditionalists, the organ was nothing but a “kist o’ whustles” as they disparagingly called it.
Newhaven Church was bright and airy in feel, There were three sizeable windows along its length on both the north and south sides and two larger windows on the west and east ends. The roof, a high one for its size, was supported by two rows of pillars. Below the building was a large hall and several smaller rooms.
The chancel was not added until 1899, architect William H McLachlan.
In 2006, extensive dampness was creating structural issues to the church building. The solution was to sell the main church building, which was converted into flats and the former church hall behind was made into a modern multi-purpose space which is used among other things for Sunday worship.